13 May 2013

a north carolina weekend

morning soul, daybreak wandering.
dusting off travel boned fatigue
to walk amongst the song 
sung deep within my heart. 

light chaser, mudpie maker, bee tamer
a walk in the glorious heavy dew,
dipped drops of water darting across the grass,
silent stepping, not wanting to wake up the world,

and the quiet heavy sleep of children,
stolen moment of solitude, soul food fed. 
haunting the leaves and the underbrush, 
pounding heart that follows the sun 

up above the hedged hills. 
you can pack a glorious amount of things in a weekend: travel, family, more travel, more family, canoeing, hiking, a wedding, eating, dancing, hugging, loving, deep sleeping, saying goodbye and leaving, home, deep sleeping.  All made more precious when you have a few stolen moments of quiet to yourself amongst the busy life of boy chasing and love being bound at the altar of marriage.  We were away this weekend for a family wedding in glorious North Carolina. I love shelving my here and now life, leaving behind the business of busy-making to live apart for a moment, live deeply with people who you love oh so much your heart breaks to say goodbye, but knowing that every moment was precious. awake. aware. living.  For that, for all this, I am so so grateful on this Monday morning.

what did you do this weekend? anything apart or away? any stolen precious moments to yourself?
hopefully, to those of you who are mother's, you had a glorious moment to yourself and a day filled with love and light in celebration of your Mothering. Happy Mother's Day (one day late). xxoo

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful - love the photos and words, North Carolina is a gem and is on our possibility list for residency. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Ours was spent with family (some we never have met) celebrating mothers day and the birthday of my oldest.
    Chey xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. North Carolina is a gem! We have only visited a few times, each place just as as beautiful as the next -the outer banks and the smokey mountains. This time we were at a camp for a wedding outside of Asheville. The boys had a glorious time as they had run of the place. I can very much imagine your family there. Hope that you had a wonderful mother's day and happy birthday wishes to your oldest! (13yo!!)
      xo

      Delete
  2. Stunning pictures and I love all the things you can pack into a weekend - I quite agree with you! I hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eleanor! I hope that you had a wonderful, wonderful mother's day! xo

      Delete
  3. This looks like a beautiful place to visit in your country, picture perfect I love that last photo:) A weekend like yours sounds perfect and you've written it so beautifully. I hope you were spoilt this mothers day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last photo and the photo of the horses are my favorite too. We did have a marvelous weekend, though we are all quite spent now. I hope that you had a lovely, lovely mother's day! xo

      Delete
  4. What a spectacular part of the world and a fabulous weekend by the sounds. A perfect way to spend your Mothers Day weekend. A very happy (belated) Mothers Day to you too. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an especially lovely way to celebrate Mother's Day. I felt spoiled in every way. Happy (belated) Mother's Day to you as well! xo

      Delete
  5. Oh, North Carolina! I'm here on the Outer Banks right now. I really, really love your pictures, especially the one with the horses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those Outer Banks are so so lovely! I am hoping you are having an especially beautiful time out there. xo

      Delete
  6. So beautiful! What part of NC did you visit? Looks like the beautiful mountains in the western part of the state. We live in Raleigh and are hoping to explore more NC mountains this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was the (smokey) Mtns I believe! We were in Tuxedo, NC (at Camp GreenCove) near Henderson, which is near Asheville! Such a small world -but wow, such a beautiful state! xxoo

      Delete
  7. Beautiful words and images. It looks like a magical weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gillian! It sure felt magical and it was much needed. It did my heart good. xo

      Delete
  8. Wishing I could dive right into your images... bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much Kate! I take that as the highest compliment. xo

      Delete
  9. Lovely Blog, Rebecca! I'm especially liking this post. I grew up in the mountains of North Carolina. It's a magical place for sure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much Juniper! It was a delight to find your blog as well! NC is so very magical. xo

      Delete

hello there! I love it so when you leave a bit of a note to let me know how you are and what you are thinking. I always love to hear about the things inspiring you and moving you through your day.

About Recently...