15 May 2013

midweek messy :: finding flowers & reclaiming one's self

In finding these flowers, laying them out on the table, cutting off their ends and finding the perfect glass jar to put them in, I began to reflect on things I do that are for me, and things I do that are for others. I love gathering flowers on a weekly basis. I feel like it is a small gift Lou at LittleGreenShed has given me. (this week's theme pink). But somedays I need a bit more, something that feeds my soul daily. Somedays I just do. So in these cast out hours, small snippets of time, I think we often are trying to figure out who we are and what we are doing on this small earth. Is there something out there that you have found that nourishes who you are? Is it breathing deeply in bed before sleep? Walking, running in a neighborhood before dawn? Is it pruning your garden, pulling out weeds all by your self in the hot pouring sun? 

What helps us grow? We are strong, educated, fierce. We encourage love and understanding in our children. We are the best of friends in the toughest of times. We are savvy enough to know, that most days, we really can't have it all. We read, we blog, we create. Yet, I believe we also long for something that is carved out just for us. Soul food. Food for our souls. Is it the blogging, the writing, the connecting in this collective corner to others? Or is it possible to find something, daily to do, small, luxurious and lovely, that is just for us? Lets start out small. Something tiny, carved out for the self, nourishing and quick.

This week I want to start the habit of creating tiny rituals here and there that are just for me. I know I have many rituals in my day, things I look forward to, but I want to do something, as I said, a bit... more. Something small.... perhaps this sounds silly, but this week I am going to be intentional about drinking a glass of cold chocolate milk every day. Not the made for children chocolate milk kind. oh no. This will be the powdered dark chocolate reserved usually for baking, mixed with raw sugar that is slowly stirred to absorb the liquid, then quickly drunk, standing at the kitchen sink lest the children find out I am spoiling myself.  

Won't you join me? Can you think of one small thing to do for yourself everyday -that takes almost no time yet feels oh so nourishing to your soul? Something that you won't beat yourself up about if you do it, or don't. Let me know below! I would love to hear about the tiny things you hope to do to renew your soul. xxoo

17 comments:

  1. What a thought provoking post, I agree that finding the subject for the nature in the home is cathartic and can almost feel self indulgent. It is important to have a moment for ourselves every day however fleeting. katie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathartic is a good word! I love having the flowers with me during the week, but I think tiny snippets of self care are oh so important too! Thanks so much Katie! xxoo

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of creating soul food for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - ok, so I started to read this post and had to come back and read it again. I love what you are saying and I believe it is something especially for us moms that we need reminding of. That special treat of chocolate milk before the kids see - so totally something I would do. This really has me thinking - as I have my knitting that I take and sit with and my thoughts wander as I create something special for friends and family, and my photography, and yes the blog BUT like you said - that special treat that is extra special and may be just a fleeting moment. Hmmm will have to work on that - as the last few years the boys and I have been attached at the hip it is definitely time for me to find something. Yes our souls need to be fed something special - just for us!!!! Thanks for the lovely post with the perfect photos.
    Chey xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think fleeting is important. Perhaps the knitting and the creating and writing and the photography helps keep our souls grounded, flexible, creative, but perhaps it is the small fleeting mothering moments of our selves that we long for as well. Maybe it is a bit like self grooming? -like having a mother-figure or your friend's daughter brush your hair. It is fleeting and luxurious at the same time. xxoo

      Delete
  4. Brilliant idea. I know this isn't all about food treats, but the other night while I was washing up I ate a bowl of ice cream with sliced banana and a dash of maple syrup and I did so in such a stealth way that no one sniffed it out, or heard me open the freezer. The kids didn't know, my husband was none the wiser. I loved every mouthful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I love this. So sneaky and perfect! Divine. -Not that it does need to always be about food treats, but sometimes that is all we have got! No wonder folks binge after dieting. Our dance with food is oh so important. xo

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos as usual and now I am pondering away here. I think I have rituals without even relalising it. Like the few minutes when the children come home from school and nursery and whilst they take off their shoes and get changed from their uniforms I like to sit on my front door step - or stand if it's raining. Just kicking back and watching the little birds hopping over from the apple tree, thinking of how liberating it must be to just be able to fly away and come back whenever the mood suits.

    There's probably some deeper meaning to that than I've considered, thanks for making me stop and think of it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you have made me wistful for a moment on my porch watching birds flit in and out of trees. The beauty of it all will sing in my mind the rest of the day. xxoo

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful post.

    I used to practice mindfulness, just being in and savouring the moment, but I seem to have forgotten how lately with all the pressures of my mother's illness. Thank you for this Rebecca, I shall take a leaf from your book.

    And I'm so glad you are happy with the yarn and the book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annie for your kind words. My knitting reminds me now not just of my mother, but of your mother as well. Wish I could knit her well for you. xxo

      Delete
  7. Truly a very beautiful sentiment. Good luck with capturing your special moments, I'll be doing the same x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Imogen. Let me know what you may come across. xo

      Delete
  8. I do enjoy cooking for myself. I sometimes feel guilty the on my day off I make things that are really delicious and nourishing with only me in mind. Yes, I cook for my husband for sure, but on my days off, I don't think about him not liking kale, or that I am not using breast meat like he prefers. I just throw together ingredients that I want, that I like, and I LOVE eating the finished product whether or not it tastes "just right" because the whole process and intention is so satisfying, being just for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. perfect! I love it! never feel guilt about something so nourishing.

      thanks so for stopping by! xo

      Delete
  9. How perfectly lovely. The flowers, if I'm not mistaken, are Geraldton Wax from Western Australia. So beautiful. I had them at my second child's birth. Katie x

    ReplyDelete

hello there! I love it so when you leave a bit of a note to let me know how you are and what you are thinking. I always love to hear about the things inspiring you and moving you through your day.

About Recently...