13 August 2013

one| school ready :: a series

"A child is a person who is going to carry on what you have started. He is going to sit where you are sitting and when you are gone, attend to those things which you think are important. You may adopt all the policies you please, but how they will be carried out will depend on him. 
He is going to move in and take over your churches, schools, universities and corporations. All your books are going to be judged, praised and condemned by him. The fate of humanity is in his hands. Teach him well." 
 ~Abraham Lincoln~

So it begins. The return of school. The summer slowly closing down.

At my house,  books will soon be pilled into backpacks, pencils sharper than they have been all summer, new shoes donned. Perhaps at your house, the school year has already begun. For others, it has been in full swing since January, or perhaps it is a year round adventure. For my boys, the return of school is always met with excitement as well as apprehension. Each of my boys are unique and each one of them approaches the return to school in unique ways.  These very different ways have spurred a fair amount of internal dialogue lately, not just between my number one and me, but in my own heart as well. Thus, here you have my new series on this blog called  school ready. My hope is not only to share my thoughts on preparing our children for the world of school, and the world in general, but I also hope to provide a platform for discussion and links to wonderful sites. I also may get on my soapbox, so watch out! There are few things I am more passionate about than Education (well maybe the Arts and Humanities, but I really believe all three go hand in hand).  My hope in this, is that it spurs you all on to change the world for better...

Well at least our own small corner of it. xxoo

14 comments:

  1. Love this idea...looking forward to hearing your thoughts and insights in this new series.

    I've left a comment for you over at Anchor & Plume. Your writing today was enchanting. After finishing Clara, I felt a sadness for the end. I am in awe of the way you are able to make sentences come alive with such beauty and love. How do you do it? Such inspiration!

    Thank you for sharing your words here and at Anchor & Plume. I've enjoyed reading them so very much.

    ~ April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea...looking forward to hearing your thoughts and insights in this new series.

    I've left a comment for you over at Anchor & Plume. Your writing today was enchanting. After finishing Clara, I felt a sadness for the end. I am in awe of the way you are able to make sentences come alive with such beauty and love. How do you do it? Such inspiration!

    Thank you for sharing your words here and at Anchor & Plume. I've enjoyed reading them so very much.

    ~ April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much April! your words have made me smile so! I really love the feedback! Thanks so much! xp

      Delete
  3. A wonderful post Rebecca. I love the quote you included. Perfect words. It is our duty as parents to make sure our children are given the best opportunities in regards to education and preparation for the world today. This does not always include what are considered traditional methods - it is important to look outside the box. It is an ongoing and continuous process - one that lasts a life time. You are a fantastic mom to awesome boys!!!!
    Chey xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three more precious weeks here, and I am clinging to each day. I am never school ready. Looking forward to reading your series though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i look forward to this series Rebecca. my eldest is heading for 4 and in new zealand must start formal schooling before age 6. most start on the dot of 5 and I keep having little palpitations when i think of how short a time is left, and how I don't like the school we are zoned for (it's huge) and what if she want to go when i'd like to keep her home until she's six so she can be a play orientated little kid for as long as possible, and how will i resist everyone including her kindy teachers who look at me like i'm mad when i say we (me) are in no rush to start school visits...you get where i'm at right?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand the palpitations! I am/was the same way. All those questions, are they ready, are they not? All you can do is make the best decision for them based on the information you had at the time. Then move forward. I am always for more play time with the wee ones for as long as possible! xo

      Delete
  6. LOVE the idea of your new series and looking forward to reading your thoughts and musings on school and education! Teaching my kids and introducing them to the world is my vocation in life, right now, and I'm passionate about it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to this Rebecca. x

    ReplyDelete

hello there! I love it so when you leave a bit of a note to let me know how you are and what you are thinking. I always love to hear about the things inspiring you and moving you through your day.

About Recently...